January 29, 2013 by dgarnett2013
These quantities fit in one flatish layer on my biggest oven try. Adjust to suit your own oven tray as you want the granola to be quite flat in the tray.
Heat gently together:
- Scant ½ cup of sunflower (or other tasteless) oil
- ½ cup of Maple Syrup
- scant ½ cup of water (adjust this as you like. The more water you have, the more the granola forms little lumps).
- 4 heaped cups porridge oats
- 1 heaped cup wheatgerm
- 1 – 2 tablespoons dark brown muscovado sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup dessicated coconut
- 1 – 2 good handfuls of almonds
To add separately:
- A few handfuls of dried fruit. I do a mix of sour cherries, apricots, cranberries, raisins & sultanas.
Heat oven to 140 degrees C.
I line baking tray with silicone mat – but only because it’s much easier to wash up.
Drizzle warm syrup mix over oat mix (minus fruit) and mix well so everything is coated well.
Lay out on the baking tray (you can make little clusters with your hands if you like granola in lumps
Bake in the oven for 30 mins.
Add dried fruit and give the mix a good stir around whole tray.
Bake for another 15 mins.
Allow to cool before putting in air tight container.
Perfect granola, perfect sweater.