December 12, 2013 by dgarnett2013
Pea, chilli & Coriander soup: Rory O’Connell
The fresh coriander in this soup can be replaced with mint. Or use lettuce instead of Pea. Lettuce and Mint is very good.
- 2oz/ 55g butter or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 140g/ 5oz finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 red or green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 450g/ 1lb of peas, fresh or frozen
- 900ml/ 1 1/2 pints chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons of chopped coriander
- salt, pepper and sugar
Melt the butter until foaming (or oil until it heats and gets thinner) and add the onion, garlic and chilli.
Sweat, covered on a low heat for 5 minutes.
Add the stock and bring to the boil.
Add the peas – NO LID – and season with salt, pepper and sugar.
Bring back to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
Taste a pea to check that it is tneder and if so a the coriander and liquidise immediately.
Taste and correct seasoning – sugar, always with peas, salt, pepper.
Add a little creamy milk if the soup is too thick.
Serve with a swirl of whipped cream and a little more chopped coriander.
Chili: to remove seeds: Roll chilli and press it. Cut top off and slit from top to bottom. Run seeds down the sink.
For Veg Soup in general:
- 1 cup onions
- 1 cup Potatoes
- 3 cups carrot/ artichoke parsnip etc.