March 13, 2015 by dgarnett2013
Chorizo, borlotti & cabbage stew-soup: A Year at Otter Farm by Mark Diacono
- 3 tabs olive oil
- 90g (or increase amounts as you see fit) cooking chorizo, sliced
- 2 large red onions, sliced
- 130g carrots, cut into batons
- 1 celery stick, finely sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- A handful of thyme sprigs
- 700ml chicken stock
- 400g tin tomatoes
- 260g fresh borlotti beans, or use dried (then cook them) or tinned
- ½ Savoy cabbage, cored and sliced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A handful of parsley, finely chopped
Heat the olive oil in a large pan over a medium heat, add the chorizo and cook until it starts to crisp, flipping each piece over as it cooks. Remove and set aside on kitchen paper.
Add the onions, carrots and celery to the pan and cook for 7 mins or so, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic, bay leaf, and thyme and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring often.
Pour in the stock and the tomatoes and bring up to a simmer. Add the fresh beans, if using, and simmer for 15 mins.
Add half the cabbage – with cooked dried or tinned beans, if using and simmer for 5 mins. Add the chorizo and the rest of the cabbage, and cook for a further 4 mins. Remove the thyme sprigs.
Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste and serve, scattered with chopped parsley.
More 50th Birthday cooking, the occasion for which Cressida Bell supplied the cake.