May 13, 2015 by dgarnett2013
Crushed Spring Peas with mint: A Girl and her Greens by April Bloomfield
Makes about 300g
- 300g fresh peas (from about 900g of pods)
- 25g aged pecorino or parmesan, grated
- 1½ tsps Maldon salt
- 1 small spring garlic clove or ½ small garlic clove, smashed, peeled and roughly chopped
- 12 medium mint leaves
- 3 tabs extra virgin olive oil
- Scan 2 tabs lemon juice, plus more for finishing.
Combine the ingredients in a food processor or pestle and mortar and pulse/ smash to a coarse puree, about 45 seconds.
Scrape the mixture into a bowl and roughly stir and smooth a bit so it’s a little creamy and chunky.
Season to taste with more salt and lemon juice – you want it to taste sweet and bright but not acidic.
Made on an early May day when the Astill boys came to play.