November 27, 2015 by dgarnett2013
Aubergine and herb salad with sumac dressing: recipe file, amended by DG
Serves 2 – 4
- 1 large aubergine, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- olive oil
- Rocket – enough for a salad
- 1 cup assorted herbs – flat-leaf parsley, coriander, mint, dill, basil
- small amount of feta cheese, to taste
- 2 tabs fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, grated or pressed
- 2 tsp cumin seeds, toasted
- 2 tsp ground sumac
To make the dressing: Combine the lemon juice, garlic, cumin and sumac in a small bowl, jar or jug. Whisk in the olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
To make the salad: sprinkle the slices of aubergines with a little salt and lay them either in a colander or on kitchen paper. Once they have soaked for ½ hour or so, rinse and pat very dry.
Brush both sides of each aubergine slice with olive oil and get a griddle pan very hot.
Grill the aubergine slices on both sides till browned and tender.
Dress the aubergine slices with some of the dressing.
Put the rocket and herbs in a salad bowl, dress with some of the dressing and season to taste.
Arrange the aubergine slices on top of the salad and sprinkle with feta.
Also good with prosciutto.
Eaten the day Tom’s film, Radiator, came out in the cinemas.