June 21, 2016 by dgarnett2013
Maftoul Salad: Sirocco by Sabrina Ghayour, adapted by DG
- 250g maftoul (hand rolled Palestinian couscous)
- olive oil for drizzling
- finely grated zest and juice of 1 orange
- finely grated zest and juice of 1lemon
- 400g can chickpeas, drained
- 100g ready-to-eat dried apricots, thinly sliced
- 50g dried sour cherries, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 black garlic bulb, peeled and thinly sliced
- 50g flat leaf parsley, leaves finely chopped
- 2 heaped tsp ground cinnamon
- sea salt flakes and freshly ground pepper
Boil the maftoul in plenty of boiling water according to the packet instructions.
Drain, rinse with cold water and leave to stand until all the excess water has drained.
Put the matouf into a large mixing bowl and drizzled generously with olive oil.
Add the orange and lemon zest and juices with a generous amount of salt and pepper and mix well.
Add the remaining ingredients and gently fold them into the maftoul. Cover the bowl with cling film and leave to rest for 1 hour (ideally in the fridge) to allow the flavours to infuse. Remove from the fridge and leave to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.
Made for supper with Kit and Lulu, after we returned from an idyllic weekend at Slad House with the Rowlands.