May 12, 2017 by dgarnett2013
Pearl Barley, Asparagus & Pea Shoot Risotto: A Love for Food by Daylesford
- 90g butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 285g pearl barley
- 150g slender asparagus stalks thinly sliced, tips left whole
- 125g onion puree
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 60g young spinach leaves, thinly sliced
- 4 spring onions, white parts only, thinly sliced
- 1 tab finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 75g Parmesan cheese, finely grated, plus and extra 65g shaved with a vegetable peeler to finish
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small handful of pea shoots
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
Melt 50g of the butter in a large non-stick saucepan or casserole and gently cook the onion and garlic until softened, stirring occasionally.
Rinse the barley in a sieve under running water and add to the pan.
Stir in 950ml of the stock and bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 25- 30 mins, or until the barley is swollen and tender and most of the liquid has evaporated.
Take off the heat.
Heat the remaining vegetable stock in a small pan and blanch the asparagus tips for 3 mins, until just cooked, then lift out with a slotted spoon, keep to one side, and add the stock to the pan of barley.
Bring this back to a gentle simmer, stirring regularly, then add the onion puree, lemon juice, spinach, spring onions, sliced asparagus stalks, mint, grated Parmesan and the rest of the butter.
Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve the risotto with the reserved asparagus tips, Parmesan shavings and pea shoots.
Drizzle and little extra virgin olive oil on top.
Made the day Rose was in her last assembly while in the Infants.